5 Best Ferret Litters & Litter Pans
If you are litter training your ferrets, you might have noticed by now that not all litters are made equal. Choosing the right litter and litter pan will set you up for success in potty training. But with so many options, how do you know what to look for? Today we will talk about what to look for in the five best ferret litters and litter pans, plus we will give you our top recommendations for the two.
What To Look For In Ferret Litter
Our litter recommendations will only have the finest ingredients and best functions. But what qualifications does litter have to pass to get on our list? Here are a few below.
The first thing that the best ferret litter should have is odor control. We all know that ferrets are not exactly known for smelling like a field of flowers, but using a litter with odor control should help. You don’t want something that is strongly scented to mask smells. Instead, it would help if you had a natural litter that is odor neutralizing.
Ferrets are known for their sensitive respiratory systems. Dusty litter can agitate your ferret’s nasal passages and cause sneezing. In extreme cases, they can cause upper respiratory infections as well.
No matter what type of litter you use, it does need to be safe. There are ingredients like silica, clay, and pine shavings that are not safe to use around ferrets.
Easy To Clean
And of course, your litter should be easy to clean. What is the point of having a litter that is harder to clean? Your litter should be easy to dump and spot cleaned.
Finally, your ferret litter should be cheap. You will be changing this all the time and adding more as you spot clean. So less expensive litters that still meet the same standards are better for your wallet.
5 Best Ferret Litters
Now that you know what we look for in the best litter, we can give you some recommendations. Below we have the five best ferret litters and the reasons why we love it.
- One (1) 30 lb. Bag - Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat Litter, Unscented Low Tracking Cat Litter
- Absorbs 3x the moisture by volume than traditional clay-based litter. Delivers effective odor control
- No added fragrance. number 1 veterinarian-recommended eco-friendly cat litter
- Designed for low-tracking with no small particles. Soft paper pellets offer a non-toxic litter option
- 99.9 percent dust-free formula. Works great for kittens as well as adult cats
Yesterday’s News is a recycled paper bedding that is marketed for cats. But it is also used for a variety of small animals. You will love the odor-controlling qualities while also being cheap.
- Eco friendly and made of recycled materials
- Keeps odors under control
- Highly absorbent that is easy to scoop
- And cheap
- Needs to be replaced often
No products found.
If you love the smell of wood, Feline Pine is the right choice for you. The unscented formula masks the scent of your ferret’s urine naturally. And the pine pellets are super absorbent. And while pine shavings are dusty, the pellets are virtually dust-free. All of these aspects make Feline Pine one of the best ferret litter for odor control.
- Virtually dust-free
- Absorbent and easy to clean
- Can be bought in bulk
- Some ferrets are sensitive to the smell
Marshall Ferret Litter
These paper pellets by Marshall are extremely useful. They have even less dust in them than paper litter designed for cats. And since they are made from 100% recycled paper, you can flush it safely. Marshall Ferret Litter is easy to clean and odor-controlling. That’s why this brand has made our list.
- The least amount of dust than any brand
- Odor control
- Made specifically for ferrets
- Made from recycled paper
- Can be flushed
- More expensive than other brands
- Made of non-toxic 100% bentonite with all-natural minerals so it's safe for your pet
- Critter litter absorbs moisture on contact and helps to control pet waste odor
- Absorbs 10x its weight in liquid
- Critter litter, in combination with a potty training program, will reduce cage cleaning by 30% or more
- For ferrets, rabbits and other small animals
Critter Litter is a safe clay litter than many small pet owners love. This type of litter is the closest to cat litter that you can find. It absorbs all urine on contact and scoops quickly. And these small bags have virtually no dust in them, so they are safe for all animals.
- Natural odor-controlling
- Clumps well
- Safe for ferrets
- Easy to use
- And easy to clean
- Scatters easily
- Can get expensive
- Provide hassle-free use
- Super absorbent
- Available in a 40lb size
Equine pellets are wood pellets made for horses and mule bedding. These pellets come in large bags and work just as well as any other pellet litter. And the great thing is that you can pick them up at any farm feed store in the US. Equine pellets can be a cheaper alternative to pelleted cat litter.
- Super cheap
- Natural smelling odor control
- Can be found in bulk
- Larger bags than cat litter
- Easy to clean
- You have to find storage for such large bags
What To Look For In Ferret Litter Boxes
Now that we know what type of litter to look for, we need to know what to put it in. Finding a litter box can be tricky. Some ferrets have a preference for one box over another. And some ferrets think that the litter pan is the best place to play. So what do we look for in the best ferret litter pan?
Ferrets are known to miss the litter pan at times. Ferrets don’t mean to miss, but since they back up into the box, they sometimes over-judge. The best ferret litter boxes have tall sides to keep everything in as much as possible. High sides are not a guarantee that they won’t spill litter while playing, though.
An excellent box will also be large enough for your ferret to use comfortably. Small boxes will be uncomfortable, and they can cause more messes than necessary. Your ferret should be able to back themselves into the box and not be crowded in.
Secure To Sides
We all know that ferrets can get rambunctious when playing. They can also make a toy out of just about anything. For this reason, you want to get a litter box that fastens to the side of the cage. If you found your perfect box and it doesn’t come with clips, you can always DIY it.
Simply drill a few holes in the sides of the pan and attach it to the cage with zip ties and a D-ring keychain clip or shower curtain hooks.
Your ferret’s litter box should also have easy access. A lower side on the front of the pan will allow easy access and prevent accidents. It will also help as your ferret gets older to get in without hurting themselves.
And finally, a litter box should make your job easier, not harder. A simple litter box that can easily be dumped and isn’t complicated. You will have to do a little scrubbing now and then for odor control. But anything too complicated will make litter training difficult and not worth the time.
5 Best Ferret Litter Box
Now that you know our standards for the best litter box, we can look at the top choices. There are, of course, many other litter pans out there that are amazing. But these boxes have high success rates and get the job done, not to mention that they are ferret approved.
Marshall Lock-On Ferret Litter Pan
- The Marshall lock on litter pan has an innovative screw mechanism
- secures the pan to your cage
- removes easily for cleaning
- Dimensions: 14"W x 14"L x 9"H Inches
The most popular litter box is the Marshall Lock-On Ferret Litter Pan. This pan has it all. It locks on securely to the side of the pan and is large enough for any ferret.
- Locks to cage
- Large enough for a ferret
- Tall sides
- Easy to use
- Most ferrets take to it easily
- The lock can be too flimsy for rambunctious ferrets
Kaytee Hi-Corner Litter Pan
- Potty training made easy
- Designed to prevent messes
- Attaches directly to any wire cage
- 13 75" Length : 9" Width : 8" Height
- For ferrets and other small animals
The Kaytee Hi-Corner is another favorite among small animal lovers. This corner cage is perfect for small spaces and leaves enough room for your ferrets to romp around. And since it has tall sides, it prevents accidents.
- Easy to use
- Hight backing
- Low front
- Best for small cages
- Can attach a secure lock to it
- Ferrets do grow out of them
Cat Litter Box
If you are looking for larger litter pans, any cat litter box will do. You can use these in the cage and around the home when free-roaming. You can get covered or high backed litter boxes that work lovely. Or you can choose a smaller, cheaper option for kittens. Just about any cat litter box is suitable for ferrets. Some of our favorite cat boxes are the Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box and the Nature’s Miracle Advanced High Sided Corner Litter Box.
- Lots of variety
- Easy to get into
- Can attach locks on sides
- Some boxes are cheap
- Great for use around the house
- Some boxes are too large for a cage
Stackable Storage Bins
- MADE IN USA with global materials - IRIS USA's large plastic open front storage bin is made with high-quality plastic and BPA free, making it a great choice for storing anything from food and snacks to office and craft supplies.
- VERSATILE - Organize clutter wherever it occurs and keep everything conveniently within reach for whenever you need it, making the large plastic organizer caddies especially useful when storing easily forgotten and misplaced things such as spices and small accessories.
- OPEN FRONT - The U-shaped open front forms a handle to push or pull the baskets and makes your items readily available to see and reach without having to move the bin around or remove a lid, granting you easy access to whatever you have stored and making it easier than ever to check on the freshness of stored food.
- COLLABORATIVE - Use the large plastic open front storage bin with IRIS USA's plastic open front storage bins in other sizes, making your spaces cohesive and uniform while storing a variety of differently sized items.
- GREAT SIZE - Dimensions: 13"L x 6"W x 5" H
Ferrets are very long slinkies, and in most cases, they can fit anywhere. We love the Iris USA Large Storage Bins because they are perfect for ferrets. The long containers make it a comfortable fit. And it can also save space inside the cage.
- Cheaper option for multiple litter boxes
- Large enough for most ferrets
- Easy to clean plastic
- Fits inside the cage to maximize space
- Can be fitted with locking hooks
- Some ferrets don’t prefer them
Ware Manufacturing Plastic Scatterless Lock-N-Litter
- Locks to Cage to Eliminate Overturned Pans and Scattered Litter
- Made of Durable, Stain and Odor Resistant Plastic
- Plastic Guard and Wire Floor Keep Pets Feet Clean
- Attaches to Any Wire Cage, Easy to Remove and Easy to Clean
- Measures 16-1/2" Width X 10-1/4" Depth X 8" Height
And last on our list of the best ferret litter pans is the Scatterless Lock-N-Litter. This pan makes it on our list because of its larger size and the protective guards. If your ferret loves to play in the litter box, this pan is perfect for you. You will never again have to scoop all the unused litter back into the box. And since this pan has a lock built-in to keep it in place, it makes for a ferret owner’s dream.
- Larger than most corner litters
- Keeps ferret out of the litter
- Has built-in locks
- Makes cleaning easier
- Takes up less space than a rectangular pan
- Some ferrets are picky about the bars
Litter Training Can Be Hard…
But with these top 5 best ferret litters & litter pans, it can be so much easier. Each of these products is hand-picked to make you and your ferret more comfortable with potty training. And with so many choices to choose from, it’s nice to have the best options already researched for you.