Picking a cage for your chinchilla is the hardest thing that you will have to do. You want your chinchilla to be happy and healthy, which can be directly correlated to cage size. But more than just being large enough, there are other factors to consider. And with so many cages on the market, it can be hard to know which one is best. Today, we are going to show you what to look for in the ideal cage. Then we will give you our top 9 best chinchilla cages of 2023.
What To Look For
Not all cages are created equal. Most enclosures are designed with a particular animal in mind. If you Google chinchilla cages, you will see a variety of styles and sizes. But which ones help your chinchilla to thrive? Listed below are all the qualities you want to find in a quality chinchilla cage.
Size is one of the most important factors to consider. For one chinchilla, the bare minimum cage should be 2 x 2 x 2 feet long. For every chinchilla that you add, there should be an additional 12 square feet of space. But bigger is always better. Chinchillas love to jump and run around in their cages. A chinchilla without enough room can’t stretch and get enough exercise. And if you have two or more chinchillas, they will fight if you don’t give them enough room.
You might see that many breeders use a wire bottom cage. They claim that it is more sanitary and is safe for a chinchilla. But living your life trying to balance on wire flooring perfectly can’t be comfortable. They can also be a hazard for falls and bumblefoot. Having a solid flooring of any material will make your chins comfortable and safe.
Chinchillas are incredible jumpers. They can jump as high as six feet! Having a cage with multiple levels helps encourage natural instincts in chinchillas. Your chinchilla will run and jump all over their cage. And having levels can help you separate the different living areas, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.
Chinchillas are deceivingly small. Their hair makes them look plumper than they are. But once you pick them up, you get a better sense of how skinny they are. If a chinchilla can put their head through it, their whole body can get through too. For this reason, a chinchilla needs a cage with no more than one-inch bar spacing.
Easy To Clean
Most people don’t think about the cleaning process when they look for a cage. That is why we only recommend cages that are moderately easy to clean and won’t take all day. If your cage is easily accessible from all areas, then it makes the tedious task fast so you can get back to loving your chin.
If you don’t already know, chinchillas will chew everything. Plastic cages could be eaten through in one night if they wanted to. Plastic will also cause bloat in chinchillas and is known to be a cause of death. So your cage needs to have a metal frame. If your enclosure has any plastic exposed, it will be subject to chewing also. For shelves, we recommend either replacing them entirely or covering them with fleece. You will also want to stay clear of cages with tall plastic bottoms. Even if there are metal bars to keep your chinchilla from escaping, it is not good for their health.
Bedding Or Fleece
You will also need to have a way to use any type of bedding. Plastic shelves should always be covered in a no-pill fleece to prevent chewing. You can use fleece covers throughout the cage, or a different kind of bedding. But knowing how and what bedding is essential to figure out before buying a cage.
Chinchillas need a larger wheel than average. Your cage needs to have space for at least a 14-inch wheel. In some cages, you might have to be creative on placement. Or you might have to modify what shelves you use. But most chinchillas love and need a wheel for exercise.
Off The Floor
Chinchillas feel uneasy if they are too close to the floor. Your cage should be lifted off the floor. If your cage doesn’t come with a stand, then you will need to put your cage on a table or stand of some kind. Having the cage up off the floor will keep your chinchilla from feeling uneasy and will allow them to feel safe and secure.
10 Best Chinchilla Cages 2023
Now that you know what our standards are for a great cage, we can give recommendations! Some of these cages need a few tweaks, and others are perfect as they are. We will talk about all this and more below.
#2 Ferret Nation
- Ferret Nation Double Unit habitat/cage with stand. Ferret Nation (182) includes two pans, two shelves and three plastic ramps w/ ramp covers
- Full-width double doors on Ferret Nation cage and removeable shelves provide maximum accessibility for easy cleaning & feeding
- Ferret Nation's wide expanse shelf & full width leak-proof pan provides maximized play area & prevents dangerous falls
- Extremely sturdy & durable metal Ferret cage & stand is easily maneuverable with 4 locking wheel casters
- Ferret Nation cage measures 36"L x 25"W x 62.5"H, no tools required assembly & includes a 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
The most popular chinchilla cage is the Ferret Nation and is large enough for a few chinchillas. This cage is large and can be modified in a million different ways. Most people cover the removable plastic pans in fleece. But some people remove the shelves and insert pine shelves instead to make it more like an obstacle course. And for those of you with lots of chinchillas, you can stack these cages up to three tiers. You can even put them side by side with the divider removed. The possibilities are endless.
#3 Yaheetech 52″ Metal Chinchilla Cage
- 【DURABLE & STURDY】This cage is constructed of powder coated metal square tubes and wires; safe hammertone paint gives this stylish cage excellent wear and corrosion resistance; features 4 heavy-duty casters at the bottom ensure high load capacity.
- 【EXTRA LARGE EXERCISE PLACE】25.2 x 17.2 x 52’’ large pet chinchillas cage with 0.9’’ bar spacing allows several small animals to have fun at the same time; six tiers are connected with ramps, which expand the usable area for pets to climb and rest; perfect for adult small pets like guinea pigs, squirrels, chinchillas, ferrets, rabbits, hedgehogs, etc.
- 【SAFE & SECURE】All three arched doors are secured with latches, keeping your pets safe in the cage when you are not around; arc designed ramp with embossed stripes for safety purpose, which can increase the friction and prevent your pets from slipping during their climbing; smooth seams and rounded corners protect your pets and yourself from undesired injury
- 【EASY CLEANING】3-Door design makes it easy to clean the cage and tiers with tools; a slide-out tray under the cage can be removed and cleaned with water; a metal mesh between pets and the tray can avoid your pets walking/laying directly on their droppings
- 【CONVENIENT MOVING】4 Smooth rolling casters can be rotated in all directions for convenient moving; This squirrels cage comes with a complimentary wall-mounted water bottle and a pet bowl.
The Yaheetech cage is tall and perfect for the jumpy chin. Your chinchilla will love to run up and down this cage. It is sturdy and has an easy to clean pan in the bottom. You might want to put bedding in the bottom built up to make it more comfortable for your chinchillas to walk on. And the plastic shelves will either need to be covered with fleece or replaced with pine shelves.
#4 Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Ferret Cage
- Spacious: This ferret home offers plenty of space for even the most energetic adult ferrets to run, jump, and play. The steel metal cage includes ramps, shelves, and a hammock to keep your fuzzy friend entertained and happy.
- Easy Access: Two large doors means easy access to your small pet. The large hinged cage doors are escape-proof and ferrets cannot open the doors. This opening can also be closed off to create two separate spaces or be left open for full cage access.
- Easy to Move: Our portable ferret crate with stand features easy-rolling caster wheels to move the ferret cage from room to room. You can store toys, ferret treats, and supplies on the space-saver storage shelf stand.
- Easy to Clean: The platforms, grille, and bottom tray are easy to remove for convenient cleaning. Your pet ferret will enjoy a fresh, open metal crate home with this secure animal cage in a stylish hammertone finish.
- Dimensions: This ferret small animal enclosed pen measures 31 inches long, 20 inches wide, and 41 ½ inches high (54 inches high on the stand) with ⅞ inch wire spacing. Our ferret pet enclosure is comfy, spacious, and fun.
The Feisty Ferret is an inexpensive knock off of the Ferret Nation. This cage has all the same benefits of the Ferret Nation as far as customization. But the Feisty Ferret has an easy to clean pull out shelf. The only downside to this cage is that only one side of the doors opens up. So it can be a little challenging to clean. Many chinchilla owners love this cage for their chinchillas despite the difficulty to clean.
#5 Prevue 495 Chinchilla Cage
- Ideal cage for rats, chinchillas and/or baby ferrets
- Solid metal ramps and platforms are designed to withstand years of use
- Wind-bell lock provides extra protection against escaping pets
- Space saving shelf can be used to store toys, treats and more
- 31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 40-inch high with 3/8-inch wire spacing
Another fantastic cage from Prevue is the 495 Chinchilla Cage. This cage is just right for a single chinchilla. It is not as customizable as other cages, but you could always replace the metal shelves with pine ones. Doing this will give your chinchilla more room to move around and jump. It also will allow you to make room for a chin spin, and we all know how much chinchillas love those.
#6 Topeakmart 6 Level 52″ Large Chinchilla Cage
- Durable & Sturdy: This cage is constructed of powder coated metal square tubes and wires; safe hammertone paint gives this stylish cage excellent wear resistance; features 4 heavy-duty casters at the bottom ensure high load capacity
- EXTRA LARGE EXERCISE PLACE: 25.2 x 17.2 x 51.7’’ large pet cage with 0.9’’ bar spacing allows several small animals to have fun at the same time; perfect for guinea pigs, squirrels, chinchillas, ferrets, rabbits, hedgehogs, etc.
- SAFE & SECURE: All three arched doors are secured with latches; arc designed ramp with embossed stripes for safety purpose, which can increase the friction and prevent your pets from slipping during their climbing.
- EASY CLEANING:a slide-out tray under the cage can be removed and cleaned with water; a metal grate between pets and the tray can avoid your pets walking/laying directly on their droppings.
- CONVENIENT MOVING: Ball-shaped casters can roll in all directions smoothly.This chinchilla cage comes with a complimentary wall-mounted water bottle and a pet bowl.
This tall cage is perfect for any chinchilla. Your chins will love to run and jump around with joy. With an easy to clean bottom and potential to make an epic cage, you would be proud of this cage. You will either want to cover the shelves with fleece or replace them with pine. And if you end up getting more chinchillas, the sides of this cage can be removed. Once removed, you can attach two cages. And this adorable cage comes in two colors to match your decor. Who doesn’t love that?
#7 Stackable Wrought Iron Chinchilla Cage
- 【Extra Large and Durable Stackable Cage】 Cage can use as two separate Large Cages. Wrought Iron Construction is easy to assemble, 【Tight 1/2-Inch Wire Spacing】 Narrow Bar Spacing For Baby to Adult Size Small Animal Critters
- 【Extra Large Cage Including Stand】 32" x 19" x 74"H., Total Cage: 32" x 19" x 63"H. Single Cage: 32" x 19" x 30"H.
- 【CHEW FREE 】Tight 1/2-Inch Cross Metal Shelves and Ladders for small animal, Plastic feeder cups and wood perches for bird
- 【Long Lasting Metal Trays】 and Both grilles and drawers can slide out for convenient cleaning
- 【Removable Stand With Casters】, Storage Shelve, Removable Stand, Cage can remove from the stand.
This beautiful wrought iron cage is perfect for a chinchilla. This cage and stand are perfectly chew-proof and easy to clean. You can take apart the entire cage and put it back together quickly. If you cover the wire shelves with fleece, it makes the perfect dream home. Or you can deck it out with pine shelves and fleece hammocks for a chinchilla play place. In either case, we love the possibilities of this cage.
#8 PawHut 50″ 4 Tier Pet Cage
- Spacious Size: This large design offers your pet height to climb for fun and exercise. A hanging hammock is included for a comfortable nap spot at the top. The five-tier layout allows a big, cozy living space.
- Rolling Design: The pet habitat is equipped with wheels for rolling from one place to another and easily rearranging your living setup.
- Easy to Clean: A pull-out bottom tray makes cleaning simple and quick, and the four doors provide quick and easy access to reach in and feed or pet your furry pals.
- Heavy-Duty Structure: The heavy-duty steel frame ensures tough-quality construction. The powder-coated finish creates a quality look that maintains wear and scratch resistance.
- Small Animal Cage Information: Overall Dimensions: 31.5" L x 20.5" W x 50.5" H. Provides a Safe and Secure House for Ferrets and Chinchillas.
This 4 tier cage by PawHut is perfect for any chinchilla family. This cage is easy to assemble and easy to clean. The sides of this cage open up wide for cleaning and playing with your chinchilla. It also has a removable bottom pan for quick spot cleaning throughout the week. Your chinchilla will love how tall this cage is and the multiple levels. Just make sure to cover the plastic with fleece, or replace it with pine.
#9 Prevue Pet Products Deluxe Critter Cage
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Heavy duty, metal construction
- 5 shelves, 3 ramps and 1 hammock included
- 2 large entry doors with easy to use locking mechanism
- 37’’ L x 23 1/8’’ W x 63 3/8'' H with 7/16’’ wire Spacing
Another excellent cage is the Deluxe Critter Cage. This cage has small bar spacing and multiple levels. You can add more shelves or rearrange the existing ones to make the ultimate cage. There is plenty of room for customization and adding a wheel. You will love how easy it is to clean and move around. The Deluxe Critter Cage is a dream cage for any chinchilla owner.
#10 Ferplast Ferret Tower
- Huge & Healthy Living Space! | Provide your ferret with the room they need to roam & play for endless exploration | Each XXL ferret cage measures 29.5L x 31.5W x 63.4H inches & weighs 52 lbs., bar spacing is 7L x .5H inches
- Fully Accessorized Ferret Cage | Two-story ferret cage includes everything you need to get started including a large water bottle, litter pan, food dish, 2 adjustable play tubes, 2 ramps, 3 adjustable platforms & a fun hanging hammock perfect for a cozy nap after playtime
- Easy Access & Maintenance | Ferret cage features a door on each level plus a "roof-top" door for convenient access, two 6-inch deep pans keep litter & debris inside the ferret cage. To empty or clean the pans simply unlatch the wire portion of the cage
- Quick Set-up Ferret Cage | Unique latching system that connects the metal mesh portions of the cage to the base pans allows for quick set-up or ability to take a part for storage or routine cleaning
- Optional Wheel Casters | This ferret cage includes 4-wheel casters so you can easily relocate the ferret cage for cleaning & etc.
The Ferplast Ferret Tower is not just for ferrets. This cage is excellent for chinchillas too. The tall sides make for a great scatter guard, and the spacious design is fantastic for multiple chinchillas. Adding a few extra shelves will make this a paradise for your chins. The only thing you can’t use in this set is the plastic tubes. Chinchillas tend to chew on these or get stuck. But don’t worry, your chinchilla can jump from shelf to shelf just fine.
What Will You Choose?
Any of these 9 best chinchilla cages will make for the perfect chinchilla bungalow. You can use your imagination to make it homey and entertaining for your chinchillas. After all, they spend most of their lives inside a small cage. Don’t you want it to be the best that you can make it?